Sunday, September 09, 2007

Memories from seminary

When I went to a seminary here in Israel. I had to go somewhere with two other girls. Both were boney bone skinny! One was Syrian (pretty white) w/dark straight hair, the other was persian -pretty dark with thick dark hair and me -African American w/dark hair in braids.

Goodness! never in my life did I feel more like I was representing!

I am not fat, i'm size 8, but these girls defied size! I felt FAT around them. But tried to walk as confidently as I could.

Woohoo! heads turned! It was certainly a site. Three girls from very different backgrounds briskly walking down the street shoulder to shoulder.

It was too weird. The two girls seem to take it in stride -confident, cool, like they were just too much and walking down a modeling walk way. I felt like I was faking it (i'm usually pretty mousey) and praying to dear Almighty above that I don't trip or appear not confident.

what stresses in life...

9 comments:

classical one said...

Wow, A Syrian, a Perisan and an African American, wish I'd see something like that around these parts.

Tania said...

They were probably looking at ya'll because you guys were so beautiful and striking. I would be looking too.

yingerman said...

Hi thanx for stopping by my blog.
I started back reading your stuff, and I thought of a shidduch for you, well maybe, if you you want more detail email me.

nuch a chosid said...

very interesting, i am sure it was a beautiful sight, equally fine yiddish meidelech from different backgrounds

Miriam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miriam said...

Classic one -Thanks so much for stopping by!

Tania - I sure! I just hope I did my part representing lol

Yingerman - the shidduch would be for my sister, i'm already married. I'll email you.

Nuch -sad news. Hubby won't be going to Uman -it was too nerve wrecking trying to get the tickets. he says he'll go on an off season time, b'H. Also, aside from shomer haAynaim -that i didnt consider back then, it was exciting!

diva said...

Size 8 rules:)
How do people get so skinny?! I am sure you were the most stunning and managed to represent.

Kylopod said...

Don't tell me the ultra-skinny business has reached Israel. I mean, the girls you were with might just have been naturally thin, and that's fine. But I hate the way the American media holds this up as an ideal. As a man, I've always preferred women who aren't so thin.

Miriam said...

Diva -thanks for the vote of confidence! I don't think i'll ever forget that moment.

Kylopod -I think Israelis are not so big naturally, plus life require s a bit more effort here (using a sponga sticks-big windshield wipers- rather than mop, having to walk up and down hills vs plateau'd pavements, Bagging your own groceries -do these count for calorie burners? lol). But other than that, if you'd see the styles in magazines, i think the skinny business has seeped in.