Thursday, August 23, 2007

Baruch dayan ha-emet


I regret to inform everyone of the passing away of Dr. Avraham Schwartzbaum a"h. he's the author of the Bamboo Cradle. (he had adopted a baby girl from China and while trying to raise her, came to his own judaism)

My husband and I used to go by them every Pesach. But by the third Pesach of our newfound 'tradition' our twin girls were born and we reasoned it would be easier on everyone if we started to do Pesach seder ourselves.

That year, both Dr. and Mrs. Schwartzbaum came to visit us and make sure we were doing okay! Like parents!! I miss Dr. Schwartzbaum.

~~~~

Before I was married, I lived in the Neve Yerushalayim yeshiva dorm. One day, after bawling the previous night from a bad date, I washed my face well, put on make up. I dressed up nicely and went to class as if nothing had happened.

While waiting in the hall for the class to start, I saw Dr. Schwartzbaum heading my way. I put on a cheerful face, but just to be safe, I turned my back and pretended to be Really interested in a poster on the wall in front of me.

Dr. Schwartzbaum, the eminent sociologist, says to my back, "why do you look so down?" LOLOL

Then he comforts me and says, "don't worry, no one else can spot it."

I miss him. He was like a father. I miss his comforts when I had troubles at Neve and came crying to him. I miss his many sons giving him a sweet hard time at the Pesach seder. I miss him.

14 comments:

Tr8erGirl said...

Oh wow - that's so sad! Baruch dayan emes.....his story and that of his family was such an inspiration. I read his book when I was very young and it still sits on my shelf (very worn - i might add!). You are very lucky to have known him personally! Please pass on my regards to the family....

Lakewood Venter said...

Sad indeed! I also read that book and loved it! He was such a good person. Boruch Dayan HaEmes.

Kylopod said...

I'll repost what I wrote on DB's blog:

I met the daughter when I worked at the library many years ago, though she probably wouldn't remember me. I was scanning her card at checkout when I saw her name flash across the screen, and I recognized it because I had just read "The Bamboo Cradle." I have to admit, it took me several moments to realize she was of Asian descent. She carried herself like a typical frum lady, sheitl, accent, and all. It made me conscious of the fact that there is such a thing as a frum accent and manner.

ArtChic said...

I just remember when we went together for Shabbos Seudas Shlishit, I got to meet his Rebbitzin an aishis chayal truely, and the wonderful food she served. I also got to meet Ahuvah Gray, who was sort of a "bas Bayis" by them. But what always stays with me was the way Dr. Schwartzbaum said Havdala. Such a beautiful thing to witness, after Havdala he poured a little alcohol in the kiddush cup plate and lit it afire with the havdala candle and it went up like a small bonfire, he and his sons sang "Eliyahu Hanavi" with the intense glow of the flame in the darkened room. I think I sat there with my jaw hanging. What a beautiful tradition. I never forgot that. (And the Tai Chi in the kitchin LOL!)

Lvnsm27 said...

Baruch Dayan Haemes, sounds like a great man

Lvnsm27 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David_on_the_Lake said...

BDH..
We also knew him personally..and couldnt have written a better summary...
:-(

mnuez said...

I, too, read his book when I was a kid and I also know of him through a friend who was a ger as well and who said that they took him into their hearts and made him feel comfortable in the frum world.

Baruch Dayan Emes. :-(

mnuez
www.mnuez.blogspot.com

yingerman said...

(sigh)
I loved his book, always thought i would meet his famous daughter, but vee kimpt a chasidishe bachur to be friends with a maydel.

Funny thing though, I've seen a frum short asian lady with a bunch of boys in the mall at Sunrise Florida. Considering that I dont go there very often ( i live in NY) and I've seen her twice now, I think its sorta catchy or somthin'.

Miriam said...

Kylopod, thanks for stopping by!

Artchic -yes, wasn't that havdala special! Oh, how I miss him!

And the tai chi!!!!! LOLOLOL

David on the Lake - I don't know what to say.

Yingerman - frum? short? so far that does sound like his daughter. But I don't think they live in Florida.

Miriam said...

Tr8derGirl - there are so so many more stories....

LV - (sigh)

Scraps said...

Baruch Dayan haEmet. I had always wanted to meet him, but the one time I had a chance to, I was ill. I guess now I never will... :(

frumhouse said...

Baruch dayan emes. The Bamboo Cradle was one of the first books I read when becoming frum. An awesome and inspiring life he led...

Juggling Frogs said...

Baruch Dayan Emet. His memory IS for a blessing.