Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Book Review -- Off the Derekh

Hi everyone! This Shabbat was spent at the wonderful grounds of Kibbutz Lavi. While there with my mother in law I had apportunity to steal away and curl up with a book -and Oh, what a book!

Off the Derekh is written by Faranak Margolese, an Iranian Jewess; and its about why people go off the derekh and what can be done about it.

What I found interesting was that it wasn't a "flowered" up, cover up type of book like I was expecting. It was very real and very truthful talking ranging about kids who grow up and learn to do ritualistically Jewish things (bracha, hand washing) but mentally are so not into it to chassidishe men who head out to shul and just keep walking out of the community spending shabbat in some bar!

She explored very honestly why such things happened. I think alot of communities / people may not be ready to hear it.

The beginning of the book was a bit heart wrenching for me because it gave first person accounts of sephardi kids being subjected to racism and such hurt that they just let go and searched elsewhere for truth and meaning. After my very recent episode from a shiur I went to( the chinnuch teacher just couldn't help himself. He just couldn't stop using foul language!), it hit very close to home.

While I may not agree 100% with all her solutions, I do think this is very worth reading. My only fear is that those who REALLY need to hear this, probably wouldn't want to read it. I 'm not quite sure if I would recommend it to kids.....Also, i'd change the title if I were the author -i'm a bit embarrassed to be scene with a book with such a title.hehe.

2 comments:

Ayelet said...

After my very recent episode from a shiur I went to( the chinnuch teacher just couldn't help himself. He just couldn't stop using foul language!)

Huh? I'm confused.

Miriam said...

i'm trying to judge him favorably but I don't know why every other word was not nice language (shiksa, shygatz, etc)