Saturday, February 02, 2008

Miriam's (chutzpadik) opinion

Someone asked about Chukat goyim. This is my take on it.

I think somethings are stretched waaaaay out of proportion. This law is one of them.

For example:

(1) If I decided to wear a turban headcovering. Then I found out that somewhere in a distant land are women wearing turban headcoverings. I would still wear it. The reason is because I am not "copying" them. We just so happen to have the same idea.

(2) If I wear a collar shirt with buttons. Then afterwards, folks think its really cool and the nations begin to also wear collar shirts with buttons, I would not change. I would still wear my shirt because I am not "copying" them.

Anyway this is totally my opinion.

3 comments:

Rafi G said...

I agree. it is a very vague category and gets used to justify people's opinions, but when it is not convenient it gets ignored...

hesh said...

I can't wait till black hats come back in style!!!

efrex said...

If memory serves (and I must emphasize that it often does not), R' Joseph Ber Soloveitchik was asked about the appropriateness of giving a fallen Jewish soldier a 21-gun salute. In his response, he defined the prohibition of "chukat hagoyim" as only being applicable to practices that were definitively associated with non-Jewish thought processes. Universal human practices (such as shirts, neckties, 21-gun salutes) did not, therefore, fall into that category