Thursday, August 02, 2007

Oh We'll be movin on Up........

I have been trying to get myself to be more spiritual, to understand a little more about Hashem, to be a better Jew, but was embarrassed to admit that I wasn't sure how to proceed.

Sure, I know that if I ask people, many will say "take on x chumra" or "do more x more strictly" but that hasn't worked for me. I can't keep up with the Jones, er, Horowitz's stringencies mindlessly. I need to need that chumra or at least understand it, then okay there is something to talk about.

Well, After reading Jack's post (over at Advocate of the Mind), I feel a bit more confident with the road i've chosen. I think I will study TanakH more, even though its "lowly regarded" by the big guns, and also, quite frankly, I really do want to know my halachahs. Oh! if only my Hebrew was better.

Hey Jack! Perhaps the lack of Hebrew could be a /the problem.....

10 comments:

Advocate said...

My blogging career could end now and it would all be worth it. I was featured on someone else's blog, in a positive light no less.

I feel that I may have been a little misleading though...
"even though its "lowly regarded" by the big guns"
If you see what the gedolim of not too long ago were saying (and even if you dig deep enough nowadays) like Reb Moshe Feinstein, had a much different view of learning then is popular now.

In regards to not being familiar in Loshon HaKodesh... it certainly is a big part of it. I've seen many a time that things the translator will make things seem stricter, partially by mistake and partially so as to "put a fence around the Torah." Perhaps things get a little out of hand but 'Lost in translation' puts it more to the point. Certainly if you saw things at the source and knew the context, language, etc... you'd be much better off.

Miriam said...

Hey Advocate - thanks for stopping by.

Don't you end that career just yet! people need to hear this messaage.

I enjoy blog world. There is alot of bashing going on, but I think I manage to weed through and find the gems out there.

nuch a chosid said...

I will get back to have a closer look and read more,
for now, first I aded you to my blog roll and wish u a gut shabbos

rebelwithacause said...

I think I will study TanakH more, even though its "lowly regarded" by the big guns, and also, quite frankly, I really do want to know my halachahs

With which commentaries have you already studied the Tanach with? Rashi?

Miriam said...

Rebel - Yes, with Rashi

Tr8erGirl said...

Miriam - good luck with it! You're going about it in a great way! You've inspired me! :-)

Jacob Da Jew said...

Tanach is fun. In Israel, its mandatory for state exams.

I've enjoyed reading Kings and Samuel as there is lots of action!

Lakewood Venter said...

what makes you say that Tanakh is lowly regarded??? Hatzlacha in your spiritual quest!

Miriam said...

Shalom Tr8erGirl! Wow! I am glad to be able to inspire!

JDJ - Those are actually my favorite too, as well as Judges.

LV - Because even cheders don't spend much time on it. Yeshivos and Kollel really rather focus on Gemorrah.

Lvnsm27 said...

We could always use some more knowledge in Torah and learn more inorder to improve ourself. Hatzlacha