Monday, June 25, 2007

If I Had A Shekel Everytime....

If I had a shekel every time a car honked out the Beep-beep...beep-beep-beep....beep-beep- beep-beep....beep-beep melody, I'd be rich!

If I had a shekel every time the loud speaker car-guy goes driving around the neighborhood reporting news, a new place to give tzadakah, or some sandal sale, i'd be rich!

If I had a shekel every time two Israeli driver argued over who has right of way, i'd be rich! Don't get me wrong in this one. People argue here ferociously, but take nothing to heart. In a heartbeat, if the one arguing fell down, the other would be the first to pick him up.

If I had a shekel every time a cell phone (called pelephone here) sang a melody other than a typical phone ring, i'd be rich! I don't think i've every heard the typical phone ring, except from my own pelephone.

If I had a shekel every time a child gave the quick-and-multiple-one-shoulder-shrug, i'd be rich!

If I had a shekel every time I saw a Na-Nacher (as in na- nach- nachma- nachman meUman: a fringe group from the breslov movement) dancing about, i'd be rich!

If I had a shekel every time a Lubavitcher would give out candy at the park to kids who recited some pasuk, i'd be rich! But that happens only on shabbat.

Oy vey, if I had a shekel every time I had a shyla/question for a rabbi, i'd definitely be rich!

If I had a shekel every time I heard someone pleading to the bus driver to "wait a minute!" i'd be rich!

If I had a shekel every time the books store owner said, "ok ok, I'll give you a discount!" when all I asked was, "how much is this?" i'd be rich!

If I had a shekel every time a total stranger allowed us to stay at their house for shabbat since they were away, i'd be rich!

Oh Hashem!

(baruch Hashem!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You live in Israel... You are Rich!!!

mother in israel said...

In our neighborhood someone was stabbed in a dispute over a parking spot.

Miriam said...

Mother in Israel,

Whoa! I am SO SO curious what neighborhood that is....but I understand its a public forum here. Wow. I hope they are all okay?

Ayelet said...

quick-and-multiple-one-shoulder-shrug

LOL!!

The bookstore guy sounds like a real hoot:)

Miriam said...

Ayelet - both of these are SO SO Israeli!

The bookstore guy maybe extra nice because I go there all the time.

But, there was another bookstore I went to and nobody was there, but I knew where the owner lived, so I went to his house to ask if he was going to open today. He said, "here, here's the keys. Just get the book you want and come back and pay." !!!!!!!